Founded in 1840 on donated land in the New Forest, Poulner Baptist Chapel has grown from a few families to a congregation of almost 300 people.
This significant extension / remodelling of the church facilities was designed to provide a flexible suite of spaces to accommodate the functions of the church from gatherings of 300 people to small group discussions and one to one counselling.
The heart of the project is a new worship space, naturally lit by a glass lantern, overflowing into an internal street / foyer which connects old and new.
Natural ventilation is employed throughout the building. In the worship space mix mode ventilation is provided with mechanical ventilation using a thermal wheel heat recovery unit.
To allow parents with young children to participate in services the creche is located adjacent to the worship space with acoustic glazing between the two spaces.